- Full Name: Lorenz Hans Valquist
Known As: Mr. Valquist, The Minister of Magic, Lorenz.
Current Age: 53
Date of Birth: 23rd of September, 1942.
Place of Birth: Sweden
Place of Residence: Sweden
Blood Line: Pureblood.
Financial Status: Wealthy.
Education/Profession: Swedish Minister of Magic.
Alma Mater: Durmstrang Institute
Pet(s): An owl.
Wand: Twelve inches, cedar wood, core of Jobberknoll feather, rigid.
Patronus: A polar bear.
Additional Abilities: Apparition.
- Lorenz Valquist is a very tall man, and he always walks with his back straight and excellent posture. His hair, originally blonde, is greying slightly, which he goes against by dyeing it dark brown. His eyes are blue. Lorenz has strong features and usually has a serious expression on his face, he isn’t the type to be laughing or joking around. He makes sure that he is always extremely well dressed, he is rarely seen in anything else than a suit.
PERSONALITY, TRAITS & QUIRKS
- Strength and toughness embodies Lorenz Valquist, both inside and out. He’s a stern man who doesn’t take anything from anyone. Coming from a prestigious family in Sweden, he has been brought up with the drive to be successful, which he is. He’s very ambitious, hardworking and focused on his work. He can be very hardheaded and stubborn though, it can be difficult to persuade him out of something when he has made a decision. He has an extremely judgmental side to him, Lorenz isn’t very open minded. He also tends to think of himself before others, and he will help himself before he helps another. Despite his tough exterior, he is capable of love and has somewhat of a softer side. He pushes his children and puts pressure on them, but he loves his family really and does want them to succeed, even if he has trouble showing it.
HISTORY & PAST
- Lorenz was born in 1942 into the Valquist family, which is an old and prominent Swedish pureblood family, being a Valquist meant something to most Swedish magical folk. While the family had money, they never had much love and affection. Instead of support, Lorenz was always put under pressure to succeed. He was told to be intelligent, serious and mature from a very young age, he was never granted a real childhood, he was always discouraged from acting silly and playing around, something that has stuck with him to this day. Together with his siblings, Lorenz was tutored at home. These classes took up most of his time, but when he turned eleven he was well prepared for Durmstrang.
All of the Valquist children had been attending Durmstrang for generations, Lorenz was no exception. He was an excellent, talented student, and lived up to the expectations set by his family. He did have a group of friends at school, but they were mostly a group of other elite kids who he knew via family connections. He didn’t see his friendships at school as anything to get emotionally involved in; he was only there to achieve the most out of the school academically, not to waste time with fruitless friendships. But he did have his allies, and ended up graduating with the excellent grades everyone knew he was going to get. He moved on to a job with the Swedish Ministry soon after, as an Intern Auror. He continued his path of achieving the best he could, Lorenz surprised everyone with his driven, focused and ambitious character. He also became quite the workaholic after passing his training years; his work at the Ministry became his life. He didn’t have many friends; he wasn’t always the most approachable young man.
It was only one person who managed to influence the life of Lorenz Valquist. Katrine Sundell was a girl only a few years younger than Lorenz, who also came from an upper class, pureblooded Swedish family. He met Katrine at one of the parties hosted by his family, and he was amazed that out of all the family friends Lorenz had been forced to attend, never before had he noticed the woman. Katrine had been making quite some success as a model, working for many of the designers of Wizarding robes in Sweden. He talked to Katrine at that party, she was the first woman to have ever made him focus on something else than himself and his career for once. Lorenz actually bothered to keep in contact with Katrine Sundell, and for the first time ever he found himself falling in love. It wasn’t mutual at first, Katrine liked to keep her options open, she was rather flighty and couldn’t make up her mind. Lorenz never gave up on her all through his twenties, the fact that his family approved of her, and her family approved of him only made it better. Lorenz and Katrine finally started really dating when he was twenty-nine, and they were married and had their first child on the way when he was thirty-two.
Astrid Valquist was born soon after, and Lorenz soon began to adopt the same methods of upbringing that his parents had used on him and his siblings. He wanted a large family, but he also wanted to keep the Valquist name going. Lorenz expected his children to live up to expectations, and he still remained focused on his work as an Auror as well. Katrine wasn’t the best mother either, her career as a model had ended, and she had continued to work in the fashion industry. She suffered from postpartum depression as well, which made her quite inconsistent when it came to childcare. The Valquist children were mostly brought up by the house elves. When Lorenz was thirty-five, he had his first son, Elias Valquist. Three years later he had another son, Arne Valquist, followed by Eline Valquist another two years afterwards. Two years after the birth of Eline, he had his fifth child and last daughter, Annika Valquist. He ran his household like he would a business; he wasn’t very attentive and didn’t spend much quality time with his children. He did love them, but he wanted them to do well in life and went with the strict approach that had turned out well for him. His marriage didn’t always go well either. Lorenz was always loyal to Katrine, but she wasn’t always loyal to him. He ignored it, mostly because he was afraid to lose her, and a divorce would never have been acceptable to his family.
While his children were quickly growing up without him, Lorenz Valquist became the head of the Auror department at age forty-six. Despite having his now twelve year old daughter starting Durmstrang, and four young children under the age of eleven at home, Lorenz was more focused than ever on his career. He became more of a distant father figure, and while he did notice and regret this, he didn’t know what to do to improve the situation. He would never let his work go for his family, no matter how much his wife and children begged for his attention. He was never around for Astrid’s first day at Durmstrang, or little Annika’s first steps. Eline performed her first sign of magic when she was four, and her father only found out about it via their nanny. But still, years later when he was fifty-one, Lorenz Valquist ran for Minister Elections. It had been what he had been working for all along, and he won. He had now finally done his family and his name justice, and has now held the position of Swedish Minister of Magic for two years, making him busier than he ever was before.
- Wife: Katrine Valquist nee Sundell - Former model, current socialite.
Daughter: Astrid Valquist - 21, Field Agent at the Swedish Ministry of Magic
Son: Sven Valquist - 19, Unspeakable at the Swedish Ministry of Magic.
Son: Arne Valquist - 16, Sixth year Durmstrang
Daughter: Eline Valquist - 14, Third year Durmstrang
Daughter: Annika Valquist - 11, First year Durmstrang