a bird's-eye view
- Full Name: Aoife Shofranka Lovel.
Known As: Keagan Ilyeana, or Aoife to a certain vampire.
Nicknames: Key, Ily, nutter, vilain crapaud.
Current Age: Twenty-four years.
Date of Birth: 13th of February, 1972.
Place of Birth: East End of London, England.
Place of Residence: Vagabond - carnival caravan dweller.
Blood Line: Half-blooded.
Ethnicity: Caucasian - 1/2 French, 1/2 Irish Didicoy Gypsy; the latter heritage unrecognized by the Romani clan.
Medical History: Several records of hospital check-ins.
Financial Status: Middle-lower class.
Profession: Equestrian and acrobatic dancer, magical and mundane creatures handler.
Employer: Low-Key Lyesmith and his Bucket Bros' Magical Travelling Carnival.
Experience: Seventeen years of experience, since early spring of 1979.
Education: Private-educated, if any at all.
N.E.W.T.s Qualifications: None.
Wand Hand: Right.
Wand: Baguettes (Roy Villedieu); 9 3/4 inches, cedar wood, core of fairy wings blended with unicorn hair, sturdy.
Patronus: Golden-winged Dragonfly - Cordulegaster boltonii.
Boggart: A faceless woman dressed in her own favourite performance costume.
Amortentia: The smell of hay, burning wood, apples, mint leaves, and Gabriel's shirt.
Mirror of Erised: Gabriel and her out in the sun. He's mortal.
Additional Abilities: Apparition, Occlumency, and Legilimency.
Mother Tongue: Irish & Romani - both which she can no longer communicate coherently in.
Primary Language: English - bizarrely accented in a crossover of British-American-French accent.
Secondary Language: French - lightly accented with English.
Semi-Fluency In: Slovakian, Italian - both which she is capable of holding a conversation in, albeit brokenly.
handprints on the heart
- Father: Pierre de Mauban ; French pureblood - former Death Eater, now Azkaban inmate.
Mother: Beatriz Lovel [29/45]; Irish Gypsy fledgling Jiang Shi vampire - former dancer, stripper, and prostitute.
Half-Sister: Aurelie de Mauban ; French-Dutch pureblood - landlady.
Half-Brother: Philippe de Mauban ; French-Dutch pureblood - bartender.
Psuedo-Father: Low-Key Lyesmith [54/189]; French-Hispanic medial Ramanga vampire - owner of Bucket Bros' Magical Travelling Carnival.
Mentor: Félix Villedieu ; French pureblood - magical storyteller.
Best Friend: Gabriel Mortaine [24/920]; Franglais ancient Ramanga vampire - vagabond.
Close Friends: Johnny Prey Cool, Joseph Yang, Willow K. Aesalon.
Friends: Cole D. Barron, Leo Pritchard, Llewellyn Flynn, Pénélope J. Valois, Sanguini.
a wand by its length
- Inheriting her mother's darker looks, walnut brown hair framed her oval-shaped face, and pale green eyes embedded upon her face. She has a dainty straight nose, nice full lips, and her skin is middle-toned. As a dancer, she keeps herself on a strict diet, which leads to her being ridiculously thin for her age. In fact, she is fragile to the point of that she might snap into two anytime. She stands at a petite height of 5"4, much to her dismay. Much as it may be unbelievable, Key is quite the professional with makeup. She wears comfortable attire most of the time, preferring shorts, jeans, baggy trousers, loose shirts over anything else; though she also fancies skirts and dresses, particularly maxi skirts. Her style of fashion usually leans towards Bohemian-style, though other times simply turns out a horrendous mix-and-match disaster. At times, she looks considerably decent, sometimes she looks all right enough to pull off the fashion failure. Other times, she just looks plain trashy.
She sports various scars and marks from accidents in training throughout her life, but the most notable would be a pair of neat punctures on the right side of her neck, from the fangs of a vampire.
reading between lines
- Key is what people call, a walking contradiction. She's a being of both fire and ice, one who finds that blood amounts to nothing for those with a heart of stone, yet one who goes to extraordinary extents for the sake of people dearest to her. She's a steel magnolia, a young woman whose determination, persistence, and obstinacy rival even fate itself; yet beyond that is fragile, sensitive, cowardice, lazy - traits which human possessed consciously or unknowingly. Smart, bright, bubbly, mischievous, tomboy-ish, daring, bold, forgetful, even to the point of dumb scatterbrain at times; yet one would never find another liar as accomplished, another actress as professional. She and her lies would put Satan himself to shame; but at times there can be no other person who's better than her at wearing her heart on the sleeve. She may at times be dumb, but she knows what there is, one would never guess how many wisdom rests within that pretty little skull. Her mind is complicated, amongst the crowds she never shines the brightest; still she is the one and only. She has her flaws and her strengths, who doesn't - after all she is no more but another member of the human race, just like everyone else.
in a nutshell
- Positive Traits: Confidence, creativity, enthusiasm, independence, open-mindedness, determination, loyalty, slyness, humour, wit.
Negative Traits: Obstinacy, illiteracy, impulsiveness, inattentiveness, laziness, recklessness, impatience, bluntness, insecurity, dramatic nature, unpredictability.
Talents: Daily charmswork, stealth skills, memory charms, magical creature empathy, and street smarts.
Interests: Foods, travelling, cultures, magical and mundane creatures, study of vampires, dance, music, muggle technology.
Favourite Food: Fuji apples, sugar quills, chocolate, stews and broths, world cuisines, lots of unhealthy snacks.
Favourite Drinks: Cappuccino, vanilla latte, vanilla milkshake, moonshine, icevodka, chocolate liqueur.
Favourite Ice-cream Flavour: Cookies and cream, rocky road, peppermint and chocolate chips.
● She is capable of viewing thestrals.
● She is largely illiterate, she could read only very minor English and write even less.
● She inherits an unfortunate habit of swearing in French from Félix Villedieu.
● She has an affinity for languages, and picked up a lot of vocabulary of various languages in her travels.
● Her wand is exclusively forged for her by Roy Villedieu of Baguettes, and paid for by Félix Villedieu.
● Her middle name, Shofranka, means 'French' in Romani.
● Her birth name 'Aoife' is pronounced Ee-fya, meaning 'radiant beauty' in Irish.
● She carries a packet of blood lollipops with her everywhere she goes, and no, she doesn't eat any.
diving into the pensieve
- It happened when Beatriz Lovel, a muggle downtown pub dancer, had a one-night-stand with a stranger. She left him in the morning, taking along with her only a single passport-sized portrait of him from his wallet. She'd thought that that was the end, but it wasn't, obviously. Nine months later, Beatriz's life was turned upside down by a dirty, noisy, smelly infant. A baby daughter, whom ironically she loved to bits. The child, born in the late winter of 1972, was named Aoife Shofranka. Even when she was a mere baby, Aoife would go crawling all over the dingy apartment she shared with her mother, wrecking the already-ancient furniture and just generally wreaking havoc. She was like any other ordinary muggle baby - till when she was four.
What ordinary toddler bring down the cookie jar without even touching it? What ordinary toddler opens the door when the knob was eight inches above her head? What ordinary toddler trots out into the rain and walk back in completely dry? It was ridiculous. It made no sense at all to Beatriz. For once, the woman who was the epitome of freedom, the woman who cared of her own opinions and only hers, feared. She loved Aoife so much that the deepest fear gripped at her heart. Not wanting people to realize the abnormality of her daughter, she locked Aoife away in their tiny home.
Home confinement was not something which the young child enjoyed greatly; in fact, she despised it to her very core. Nevertheless, such a life continued on for three years. But, aged 7, Aoife decided that she didn't want to be stripped of her freedom anymore. Aged 7, Aoife packed a single backpack and climbed her way out from the toilet window. Aged 7, Aoife Shofranka Lovel ran away from her mother, from home, from her childhood; and join reinforces in the Bucket Bros' Magical Traveling Carnival.
Two years in the carnival had Aoife transforming into a wild child. Taking over property of one of the smaller caravans, Aoife constantly made sure that it was well-furnished and pretty; yet ironically, she never forgot to toss worn clothes and personal belongings all over the place, making it a complete mess, too. Taken in by the Carnival Chief, she was taught to work with magical animals of all sorts - unicorns, thestrals, hippogriffs; and ironically, she inherited her mother's talent at dance. The only thing which frustrated her was that she failed to work with the thestrals, creatures which she cannot see. Nevertheless, within two years, Aoife had developed into a professional acrobatic dancer, leading to her very first performance onstage in July, 1981.
Amongst the crowds, the unnaturally alerted child spied a man unusually similar to the one in the portrait her mother once owned - the one, she knew, which drawn upon was her father. As soon as the performance ended, the young girl raced out after the man, stalking him till they arrived at the junction of Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley. There, 9-year-old Aoife witnessed murder. There was not much that she remembered now - blinding green light, screams, her father's wand outstretched, the horrific and ugly tattoo which coiled upon the skin of his left arm, and then, finally, darkness.
When she woke up again, she found herself in her own caravan. Days later, she started working with thestrals, creatures she could now see. The cruelest irony of it was, in exchange, the price, her memory eternally tainted with the image of her own father, a death eater, committing murder. This particular irony eventually drove her to change both her first and last name. Ever since, she was known as Keagan *Key* Ilyeana.
When it came to the schooling age, Key often wondered if the Ministry of Magic had taken effort to find out her whereabouts. She traveled all over the world with the carnival folk whom she called 'family'. As it was, she had never been to any of the magical institutions, though it did not seem to bother her at the least. Félix Villedieu, the magical storyteller of BBMTC, was her mentor and professor. It was Félix who taught her to use a wand, it was Félix who taught her to survive in the society, it was Félix who taught her nearly all that she knew. Whilst Key would never in a thousand decades admit it, she is eternally grateful for it.
colours of the wind
- Leo Pritchard, "Key? As in... the object in a lock?"
Lughaidh Bradigan, "A dont care if ye inhaled smoke. Heck, you feckin' inhale 'em much by the looks o' ye."
Gabriel Mortaine, "You're completely insane. You do know that?"
Cole Barron, "Wait. Thestrals? So...you've...seen someone...die, then?"
Johnny Cool, "Oh, I would let you fall. The question is, would I let you hit the ground?"
Félix Villedieu, "And keep your bright smiles for yourself! Zhis smile is so bright, it can light zhe fires of Hell again!"
credits where due
- Face claim is the American fashion model, Darla Baker.
All graphics are the works of Mel from Vault 713.
The surname 'Ilyeana' is courtesy of Manda from Vault 713.