A Magical Roleplaying Experience 

Start Here • Check here often so you don't miss a thing!
 #8970  by Announcements
 01 Jun 2018, 20:09
June Already?! Where's our time turner?!

Sometimes things don't go according to plan. It happened to Harry a lot, and it happens here at the Vault a lot too. We think we've got things under control, and then suddenly there's a troll in the dungeon and dementors at the Quidditch game and some professor has removed all the bones in your arm and then it turns out your rat was an old dude all along, and—we're getting ahead of ourselves.

This summer, the Vault staff team is dealing with some unprecedented situations. We thought this summer could go on like any other summer, but it turns out we aren't really prepared to deal with a lot of what's been going on. One of our admins is about to move to another country for two months and another is traveling the globe a few weeks before moving across the country later on in the summer, and among our diligent Vaultkeepers we've had to deal with new jobs, losing jobs, car accidents, raising children... needless to say, things are a bit more difficult now than they were ten years ago when we were younger, had more free time, and were a little less responsible with the time we did have so we could devote more time to upkeep of the site.

For all of the ways we've failed the community, we're sorry, and this summer we've realized that we're going to have to shift our plans a little bit to keep things rolling. Not everything always gets to go according to plan, so like Harry before us, we're going to roll with the flow of things and see what we can't do to make the best of a tricky situation. So as for what's changing this summer, as of June 1, Character Creation will be temporarily closed due to staff availability. Rather than closing character creation frequently due to availability, we will be instead opening it up periodically throughout the summer when we can confirm that we absolutely 100% have the staff availability for sorting.

Wait, so I can't make new characters?! I have a character I NEED to play! How will I post them?!
We would love to encourage all players with new character ideas to take those ideas to the Sandbox roleplaying forums, which can be used for any and all roleplaying you'd like to do without the hassle of waiting for a staff member to approve your character. Just because it's the sandbox doesn't mean it has to be "AU" -- threads there can fit in perfectly with your Fixed Timeline stories. It might feel a little different, but it's a great option for test driving new characters until the character creation period reopens.

How will we know when character creation will reopen?
We will schedule the creation period(s) in advance so that all players are aware of when they will be. Feel free to post character sheets in the Workshop at any time during the no-characters period, though, so that you can get feedback from staff and your fellow members so that when character creation does reopen you'll be ready to go.

How do I show people what character I am posting on in the sandbox if I can't have avatars or profiles?
Feel free to include images in your posts in the sandbox with what your character looks like! Also, you can easily post a character sheet in the Workshop (if you intend to make it for the fixed timeline era) or in your Player Profile to link to in your posts. Plus, you can always keep playing in the Fixed Timeline forums even while character creation is closed, but the sandbox is a great way to keep your creativity flowing in the mean time (and you can play those characters you're itching to make a lot faster.)

Will we get quills for Sandbox threads?
Quills in the sandbox are currently not awarded the same way they are in the Fixed Timeline era, though the intent has always been to reward groups of threads in the sandbox so that you can still earn Quills. If we see interest in the sandbox picking up, however, we may re-prioritize Quill rewards for that section of the game.

What about special abilities? The old archives? The other ten thousand things that need to get done?!
We haven't forgotten, don't worry! We just need to take a little detour for a few weeks to figure out how things are going to work with our admins relocated. Once this stuff settles down, you'll probably be seeing a lot more of us. Just because we haven't taken care of something doesn't mean it's out of the picture, it just means that we needed to shift things around to deal with real life or even other Vault priorities.

I guess I can deal with waiting to create Fixed Timeline characters, but how long do I have to wait?
We anticipate the next character creation period to be sometime after June 16. Due to staff traveling and availability the first full two weeks of June had been planned to be closed for character creation in advance, but after the 16th we should at least have more staff availability and should be able to really open things up for everyone.

Thank you so much for all of your patience this summer!
We are trying our best to get back to something like "normal,"
but in the mean time please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.