A Magical Roleplaying Experience 

#35355  by Apollo Browning

Oh, right. He was in a magical neighbourhood. Sometimes Apollo couldn't remember which parts of town were magical, and which parts were ordinary. His nose scrunched up when she mentioned muggles. Thankfully, Artemis was well-travelled enough that he knew through her what that word meant.

"We call them Ordinary folk," he offered, sipping his coffee again. "I'm a junior healer at Golden Wing Hospice, but I'm going to an ordinary university to try and get credentials to operate in ordinary hospitals too." He gave a crooked smile. "What do you do?"
 #35363  by Juliette Voltaire

What do you do?

The dreaded question.

Juliette dreaded it. A lot. Right now she was doing not much of anything, but the idea of reinventing herself came back to her mind as she was faced with the question. Did she want to tell the truth? Lie? Did he need to know she was a celebrity in her own right? What if he told the press that she was here on sabbatical to go to a clinic...

A clinic. The exact one he said he worked at, wasn't it? The pamphlet was practically burning a hole in her bag now, and she wanted to just take the bag and thank him for the drink and run. She was tired of running though, in some senses, but did that mean she needed to be ready to face things instead?

"I am a carpet racer," she answered, after a long and awkward pause. "But I am... taking some time. A break."

There. That was sufficient.
 #35368  by Apollo Browning

A carpet racer? Apollo couldn't hide his chuckle. "Sorry, sorry. It's just that my sister's a broom racer. Honestly, a lot of my healing experience comes from treating her," he said, falling back into his tendency to over-share. Just as quickly, though, he arched an eyebrow at her.

"It's always good to know your limits, though. A break usually helps. Is it? Helping?" he asked, hoping he wasn't overstepping too far.
 #35400  by Juliette Voltaire

His sister was a broom racer? What were the odds of that?

Juliette took a moment to drink from her cup, thinking about his question and how she wanted to answer it. On one hand, this man was a total stranger. On the other, why else was she here if not to explain her life story to total strangers? Best and worst case scenario they both never saw each other again and she wasn't any worse off from it.

"I don't know," Juliette sighed, giving her new friend a sheepish sort of smile.

"I was very good. Very good. And then some things happen and it has been hard to... hard to focus. So my coach sent me to go on vacation and things like this, so that it would be better. But so far?"

She shrugged, then blushed as she averted her gaze.

"I am sorry. I should be asking about you, not telling my own problems."
 #35713  by Apollo Browning

Apollo nodded sympathetically. He definitely knew what it was like to have something happen and then find it hard to focus. If only he had been able to take a vacation.

"Don't worry about it, really," he said, taking a sip of his drink. "I was the one who asked. But in the interest of quid pro quo, it's been hard to focus lately for me, too. I had a, uh, a death in the family, and the reporters were a bit... obsessive," he offered, faltering for the first time.

The funny thing was that he hadn't really struggled with it until now.
 #35953  by Juliette Voltaire

Juliette blinked. A death in the family, hard to focus, obsessive reporters.

It was, in some ways, like looking in a mirror.

"I am sorry for your loss," Juliette offered, frowning slightly though she was slightly fighting a smile. Maybe this trip would be good for something, if nothing else it would be good for finding someone who was a little more like her. She had a hard time relating to her teammates, especially Halaat and Baldassare. Was she actually making a friend? On her own?

"The people with the cameras, from the news..." she shook her head. "They are the worst. I had to hide from them for a long time, because of my family. It makes me want to disappear, to not go back to Dubai. I can't imagine what you must have felt with them after losing a loved one. And your sister? Do they follow her too?"
 #36003  by Apollo Browning

Apollo nodded appreciatively. It had been a long year, but he felt like he was finally slowly finding his way back to normalcy. Thankfully the media wasn't as crazy now, having found other stories to focus on, and he had actually managed to get on with his life. Slowly, though.

"I couldn't even work at the hospice without them fighting past security to get to me," he said, shaking his head at the memory. "And my sister, being more in the public eye... she had it far worse. We had to scry each other a lot instead of actually seeing each other for fear of them. They really are the worst."

He offered a small smile across the table. "It's nice to talk to someone who gets it. Usually it's just my family I talk to about stuff like this."
 #36008  by Juliette Voltaire

"You are lucky to have them, at least," Juliette smiled warmly. She was already nearing the end of her drink.

This was the first time in so long she had felt so... free, and comfortable. Maybe the clinic would have helped her, but... wasn't this helpful too? Wasn't it better for her to be making friends, to be meeting new people?

"I want to see the city," Juliette announced quite suddenly, looking surprised at her own words.

"Will you show me? San Francisco?"
 #36010  by Apollo Browning

A wide grin spread across his face. Sure, Apollo had a lot of homework, but it could wait. Clearly he had met Juliette for a reason, and if it meant forgetting about his studies for a day, so be it.

"I'd be happy to," he said, finishing his own drink. "There's quite a bit to see, and you'll have a proper tour guide helping you!" He picked up his messenger bag that had been sitting on the floor next to him and set it on his lap. "And it'll be nice to see some of the touristy places again, too."

He pushed his mug away from him. "Whenever you're ready to go, I'm good."
 #36018  by Juliette Voltaire

Juliette was both surprised and very happy to see that her new friend was willing to play tour guide, so much so that a rare grin spread across her face. Maybe she was going to reinvent herself again after all, at least in some small way.

She had decided this much, at least: she was now the kind of girl that went on tours of big American cities with complete strangers, and now that her mind was made up there was no changing it.

"Allons-y," she announced, her smile only growing as she finished her drink and stood.

"I want to see all your favorite places."